About the Pavilhão Carlos Lopes
The Pavilhão of Industries was built in 1921 for the International Exhibition of Rio de Janeiro, organized in 1922. Between 1929 and 1931 it was rebuilt on the slope of Parque Eduardo VII.
In 1932 it was re-opened to host the Portuguese Industrial Exhibition that took place in Parque Eduardo VII before being later adapted and used for sports facilities and activities.
With a square plan, it reflects an eclectic architecture, with a revivalist taste inspired by the decorativism of the Johannine Baroque style.
The main façade is covered with tile panels, in blue and white, produced by the Fábrica de Sacavém, in 1922, representing on the iconographic plane scenes from the history of Portugal with themes dedicated to Sagres, the Battle of Ourique, the Ala dos Namorados at Batalha from Aljubarrota and Cruzeiro do Sul.
The sculptures called «Art» and «Science», located on the front of the building, are pieces executed by the sculptor Raul Xavier (1894-1964). The interior has walls covered with high-quality tile panels designed by Jorge Colaço and Jorge Pinto. In 2001, the Lisbon City Council carried out a remodeling project for the property and two years later the building was closed to the public.
With extensive refurbishment in 2016, the Carlos Lopes Pavilion has an exceptional location in the city center and is a unique place in Lisbon, with different rooms for all types of events: meetings, conferences, lunch and dinner, fairs and exhibitions, presentation of products.
The pavilion is located at the end of the Avenida da Liberdade, starting at the Rotunda Marquês de Pombal. With about 26 hectares, it offers an excellent panoramic view over the city.
On the parks border, densely wooded, there are two large facilities: the Estufa Fria with its magnificent lake, on the west side, and the Carlos Lopes Pavilion, on the east side.
In addition to these facilities, the Park is embellished by other lakes, a varied set of statuary, a children’s playground, a picnic area, kiosks, restaurants, sports facilities and fitness equipment.
At the north end stand out the four monumental columns that, beside the monument to the 25th of April, stand out in the landscape.
Since its origins, this park has been the stage for fairs, exhibitions and entertainment. Every year at the end of May, it hosts the Lisbon Book Fair.