The Fonte das Figueiras (The source of victory) is situated in São Salvador, a parish of Santarém. The Fonte das Figueiras is situated between the city of Santarém in top of the plateau and the smaller town of Ribeira de Santarém in the valley.
The Fonte was probably probably the result of the reign of D. Dinis and of Afonso IV and it was in collaboration with the cities council as both their arms can be seen in the relief decorations on it’s walls.
It was built in the fourteenth century and it became a national monument in 1910.
The Fonte das Figueiras has a quadrangular plan, bounded by corners supporting a crenellated porch with Broken Bow opened on each elevation. It’s one of the rare examples that have come down to the present day of Gothic civil architecture and one that shows how water was supplied to larger populations in the Middle Ages in Portugal.
The Fonte das Figueiras is situated behind a busy, curvy road with limited parking possibility. It can be reached more easily by foot from the historical neighbourhood of Marvila and provides a nice walk through medieval Santarém. Take note that the walk involves a steady down and uphill (back) climb.