The Jardim da Manga, Coimbra is one of the earliest examples of full renaissance architecture in Portugal. It was built in the XVI century and is a national monument since 1934.
The Jardim da Manga is characterized by a central dome -shaped body which rests on eight columns and is surrounded by four small chapels. Noteworthy are the water games inspired by Moorish architecture.
The Jardim da Manga is inspired on the fountain of life and was once a central area of the Santa Cruz monastery of which now only the church of Santa Cruz remains.
Locally there is a belief that when King John III of Portugal visited the monastery and faced with a large open space made a drawing of the fountain on his sleeve and asked for it to be realized on the spot where it stands today, hence the name Jardim da Manga – The garden of the sleeve.