The monastery of St. Clara in the centre of Coimbra was founded in 1280 by Mor Dias as a female monastery for the order of the poor clares nuns. It was abondened in the 17th century and it opened to the public in 2009 after complete restoration.
The monastery was abandoned due to year after year flooding as the Mondego river went out of it’s boundaries and fell into ruin.
The excavations have recovered many architectural and decorative objects that have aided in the understanding of the original monastery plan.
The monastery has been added as a national monument since 1910.
The excavations also brought out the foundations of the chapter house, refectory, a smaller cloister and the old Palace of Queen Elisabeth.